When you’re on vacation or holiday, your state of mind changes completely.
You’re adventurous. You’re lazy. You want to talk to strangers. You seek new and novel experiences. You eat until your stomach nearly explodes.
It’s all part of the charm of vacating your everyday life.
In honor of our upcoming trip to Seattle and Alaska (bucket list!), here’s a little vacation fun to brighten up your day, whether you’re lying on a pristine beach or plugging away at the office.
1. Consume dessert twice, if not three times, every day
2. Sleep in until OMG-o-clock
3. Tell yourself and your travel companions: It's a once in a lifetime opportunity!
4. Watch other drunk tourists sing karaoke, and possibly join in
5. Consider showering only after you've already hit the beach or pool
7. Say things like ‘the native culture’ even though you're in Minneapolis
8. Push from your mind the fact that you will eventually have to settle that credit card bill
9. Take photos with random street performers
10. Two words: day drinking
12. Proudly activate your out of office message
13. Actually read a book or magazine from cover to cover
14. Take photos of random buildings
15. Go ziplining or four-wheeling
17. Order food in a foreign language
18. Aggressively ignore email messages
19. Carry a backpack or fanny pack
20. Wear a shirt decked out with palm trees
22. Lay out in the sun doing nothing
23. Get a massage, guilt-free
24. Talk to strangers from your home country or hometown
25. Take hundreds of photos that you'll never print out or make into physical photo album
27. Bring home tiny pilfered bottles of shampoo and shower gel
28. Observe the one ice cream or gelato per day rule
29. Stake out poolside loungers around 6 am, then go back to bed, eat breakfast, and show up at the pool at 11 am. Yup, everyone hates you.
30. Buy useless, overpriced trinkets
32. Opt for an impromptu ping pong championship
33. Practice yoga on the beach
34. Befriend the local cab driver, bellman and hotel concierge so you can get the 'inside scoop'
35. Tan your skin to a lovely shade of crimson
37. Get hair braids or henna tattoos
38. Pass on a drink unless it contains fruit garnish or a tiny paper umbrella
39. Sit shivering in an air-conditioned cocoon while it's 90+ degrees outside
40. Wear sunglasses, even at night
42. Worry over tipping customs
43. Ask other people where they are from
44. Watch the sunrise or sunset
You may also like these blogs by Megan Sharma:
Baby/toddler travel guide series: going international
Baby/toddler travel guide series: what to pack
Baby/toddler travel guide series: the essentials!
Travel: Insider’s guide to the best Seattle outdoor activities
Your insider Seattle trip planner: lodging (where to stay) and getting around (rental car or no rental car?)
An insider’s guide to Seattle’s Pike Place Market
60 fun and unique date ideas for the young at heart
What I never expected about Midwest living
Parenting: A no-fuss guide to your toddler’s birthday party for Pinterest-fatigued parents
How to be the perfect friend: a guide for the ladies
One year after my major career change from full-time mom to full-time writer: reflections and lessons learned